Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sun and Snow

So I am currently sitting outside on our patio trying to soak up some sun into my white skin (and when I say white I mean it! This skin no longer resides in Southern California) and this is my current view
Yep folks, that's snow I am looking at. Although its melting really fast, its still pretty thick. Needless to say I am outside in shorts and a tank top :)

Haven't blogged for a while because its been a little hectic around here. Stephen and I both had tests on Tuesday after only being in school for a week and I co-hosted a baby shower last night for one of the women in our young marrieds group. It was a blast! I was able to share a little devotion and decided to focus on Mary's prayer of exultation to the Lord in Luke 1. (side note: giving a devotion at a baby shower to 26 moms is really nerve racking, but I made it) Anyways, while thinking about this passage while leading up to last night, the Lord opened my eyes to some things. Here's part of the passage

"And Mary said, 'My soul magnifies the Lord, and my sipirt rejoices in God my Savior, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Might One has done great things for me - holy is his name" Luke 1:46-49

A few things to point out:
1. We usually think, "Well of course she is praising God, she just found out she is bearing his son!" but in reality she was facing a lot more than that! She was going to persecuted, looked down upon for the rest of her life. She was going to possibly lose her fiance or even her life. These are a few of the many things that Mary could have been setting her mind upon these first days after the angle brought her the news. But she chose to focus her mind elsewhere!
2. The irony that she says "my spirit rejoices in God my Savior"... God her savior was a microscopic being inside her tummy.
3. She is completely humble before the Lord. So although she is not focusing on the trials that come along with this pregnancy, she is also not thinking she earned this in any sence.

So how does this apply? Well how often has God chosen us for a task that, although might be really cool, also comes with many trials, much persecution, and possible death? And how have we responded? In worry? or in praise, adoration, and complete trust? Mary didn't know what the rest of her life was going to look like. The angle didn't tell her anything beyond the birth of her child. But she trusted, she praised, and she chose to set her mind on the glory and goodness of her savior!

Anyways, still pretty thrilled with this example laid out in God's word!

Other than that...
Nursing schools going good. Getting more in the hang of things (including public transportation). Meeting some other Christians in my class, but at the same time beginning to build relationships with unbelievers.
Stephen's doing good! finishing nephrology on Tuesday and then on to endo/repro.
Looking forward to dinner tomorrow night with T Jeffcoach and his girlfriend (who we can't wait to meet!)
And that's it folks :)
Much Love,
Hannah

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home